It’s that time of year again! Last year’s Expo was so fun and in just one month, I’m gearing up to do it all over again. GFAF is not only the country’s largest gluten free event, but it was a tasty trip, too! I’ll admit that last year I went into the event almost completely blind! I had never been and aside from seeing some pictures from past years, I had no idea what to expect. That can be a touch nerve racking so I wanted to give you guys some pointers and tips on what you do and what you can expect if you attend this year! So here goes:
15 things to know about GFAF:
- It’s not expensive! A weekend pass will set you back $25 or a day pass is only $15.
August 9th is the last day to get 30% off the ticket price with the code, “EARLYBIRD” or if you see this after 8/9,you can get 20% off with the code “ADVANCE” by ordering on or before September 9th. So buy your tickets at least the day before and not the day of and you’ll save! Parking is also FREE and not too hard to come by!
- You’ll be walking, a lot! Wear comfortable shoes! I went for my cowboy boots because, Texas 😉
- Drinks are limited. There were only a few vendors who had drinks to sample (some of which are alcohol so be sure and have your ID handy!) and if you’re new to the gluten free lifestyle, you might not know that a lot of things that contain gluten are starches so it’s safe to say that some of these treats are dry. On day one, both the vendor (located at the back of the event) AND the vending machine ran out of waters. So, bring your own and pop them into the tote bag you get at the entrance!
- Try everything. There were some types of products that were repeated often so at first, I passed by those booths because I felt like I had tried them already, why try again? Wrong. I sampled 6 different types of cheese puffs (the delicious, fluffy kind you put in your oven. Drooolllll) and I tried them all day 2 and absolutely walked away with a favorite….because, bacon.
- Bring a bit of cash. While every single booth will have something FREE for you to try or even take home, many booths also their items for sale and you WILL want to buy them. You’ll also score a super discount this way!
- ALWAYS Gluten Free, other allergens? ASK! Not everything in the entire expo will be nut free, dairy free, wheat free, etc. So, if you have a particular allergy, ALWAYS ask. There are also stickers on each booth to help guide you if the booth seems busy or you’re not much of a talker. To be safe, I recommend asking when you’re a bit iffy!
- Come hungry. I mean, absolutely famished! I’m not a breakfast person (I know, I’m terrible!) so if you’re in the rule-breakers club along side me, skip breakfast and come dying of starvation because it will take you all of 10 minutes to be full. Haha. Okay, don’t skip breakfast kids, but come prepared to chow down! Everything is delicious and ready for you to nom. I got full around 2pm even though I tried to pace myself and spent A LOT of time taking photographs, talking to people and overall wasting time. If you aren’t working doing those things, I imagine you’ll be full to capacity in no time!
If you’re going Gluten-free for any reason, or if you’re just toying with the idea, the GFAF Expo is a great starting point or if you’re just looking for more brands to add to your rotation, this expo will not disappoint! If you will be in the Dallas, TX area September 10th & 11th and want to get in for FREE be sure to enter below to win one of five day passes below! This will get you access to the entire event and a swag bag for your choice of Saturday or Sunday! (Just a reminder the event is from 10am-4om at the Dallas Market Center North Hall and parking is FREE.)